Golf Course Management

MAY 2014

Golf Course Management magazine is dedicated to advancing the golf course superintendent profession and helping GCSAA members achieve career success.

Issue link: http://gcmdigital.gcsaa.org/i/299097

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 86 of 153

TIF EAGLE SOARS AT PRESTWICK C.C. "To be honest, Champion was on my mind early on, because it was the sexy, in-vogue pick. But I put in a test green with TifEagle, MiniVerde and Champion, and after 2 years of playing around with all three, I got to see the limitations and strong points of each grass. I also looked at a lot of TifEagle courses. In the end, my bosses and I agreed that TifEagle was by far the best ultradwarf for Prestwick. " Paul Kaufman-Superintendent Prestwick Country Club Myrtle Beach SC www.tifeagle.com TEAM UGA ® You'll find TifEagle Bermudagrass at the spectacular Prestwick Country Club in Myrtle Beach SC. This links-style gem was designed by Pete Dye and his son P.B. Dye and opened in 1989. Superintendent Paul Kaufman is re- sponsible for the day-to-day management and upkeep of this top-flight course that features towering dune-like berms, stairway bunkers and bulkhead-protected greens. It was Paul along with his bosses who made the decision to go with TifEagle. "Our Tifdwarf was really beginning to show its age and was getting to be almost unmanageable. On top of that, the Myrtle Beach area is so competitive. There are almost 100 courses here now in what's essentially a one-mile by 30-mile strip, and the majority of them have ultradwarf greens. From a competitive standpoint we were just lagging behind. So I put in a combi- nation test green with TifEagle, MiniVerde and Champion and evaluated all three grasses for over two years. I also looked at a lot of other clubs, and talked to a lot of other superintend- ents, We decided to no-till and shut the course down on June 18th. Believe it or not, we were open for play on September 1 with superb new TifEagle greens." Take a tip from Paul Kaufman. Whether you're renovating your ex- isting greens or planning a brand new facility, insist on the best. Specify certified TifEagle Bermudagrass by name. You can sod it, sprig it or even no-till it under the right conditions. Visit us on the web at www.tifeagle.com, or call 706 542-4525 for more information. Untitled-3 5 4/16/14 3:29 PM

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Golf Course Management - MAY 2014