Golf Course Management

SEP 2014

Golf Course Management magazine is dedicated to advancing the golf course superintendent profession and helping GCSAA members achieve career success.

Issue link: http://gcmdigital.gcsaa.org/i/369892

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 78 of 118

rate with many of those same people today on various research projects." Winning a scholarship can be a turn - ing point early in the career of some stu- dents, or plant seeds for a career change that blooms later. "I won a student essay contest scholarship when I was in graduate school at Penn State," says Chase Rogan, a former assistant super - intendent who is now the GCSAA feld staff representative in the Mid-Atlantic Region. "It really helped me become a better writer. At the time, most of the writing I had done was academic. That essay contest really helped my writing skills, which I use in my career now to communicate with colleagues and super - visors, and on blogs and regional updates. I enjoy writing those pieces because there's more energy and I fnd them motivational." The scholarships funded by the EIFG do much more for the student recipients than provide fnancial assistance. "That scholarship helped give me the con - fdence to boost my writing abilities," Rogan says. "All of us feld staff representatives write regional roundups to summarize what we've done and what's happening in our region. Those are compiled and passed right up to the CEO and the board of directors." The scholarships also can serve as a third- party validation from a national association that can be a real shot in the arm for an up- and-comer. "The award also gave me confdence in the turfgrass community," Merewitz says. "It showed me that they truly acknowledge and provide great support to those that work very Chase Rogan, a winner of a GCSAA Student Essay Contest scholarship and current Mid-Atlantic regional representative for the association, chats with Paul Grove, CGCS at the CC of Meadville (Pa.). Photo by Julie Powell The Toro Co.'s vice president of commercial sales, Darren Redetzke (far left), and managing director Center for Technology, Dana Lonn (center back) are shown with the 2014 Watson Scholarship Program winners (from left): Lisa Beirn; Matt Elmore, Ph.D.; and Paul Giordano, Ph.D. Photo by Roger Billings

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Golf Course Management - SEP 2014