Golf Course Management

AUG 2014

Golf Course Management magazine is dedicated to advancing the golf course superintendent profession and helping GCSAA members achieve career success.

Issue link: http://gcmdigital.gcsaa.org/i/352181

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 56 of 126

52 GOLF COURSE MANAGEMENT 08.14 He seemed like he wanted to further his ca- reer. He turned out to be everything I thought he'd be." Faucher's daughter agreed. Not only did Meier get the job; he also got the girl. He mar - ried Carrie Faucher — Dave's daughter. Meier points out, with a grin, that he began dating her after he took the job. Fast-forward fve years. In March 2005, the Meiers left Ohio when Roger was offered his frst superintendent job at Chariot Run Golf Club in Elizabeth, Ind. And, fve years later, Meier checked his voice mail in the summer of 2010. Valhalla gen - eral manager Mike Montague wanted to know if Meier would be interested in discussing the open superintendent position there to replace the retired Mark Wilson, who Meier worked for as a volunteer during the Ryder Cup. It seemed like a no-brainer for Meier to pur - sue, but it wasn't that simple. "I'd gone to Chariot Run to prove myself and get back into the TPC network. That's where I wanted to end up," Meier says. "Now, here I am getting a call about a Nicklaus course, owned by the PGA of America. I was blown away." In August 2010, the fnal stages of the in - terview process had been completed for the Valhalla job when Meier was unwinding with friends, playing golf on a Sunday at Chariot Run. He just happened to record his frst hole- "I hire by frst impressions, gut feelings. He seemed like he wanted to further his career. He turned out to be everything I thought he'd be." — Dave Faucher something special. "That was an eye-opening experience. I got hooked on tournament golf," he says. "It was just a different level of intensity." When he graduated in 1999, Meier found work at a famed facility. The Country Club of Brookline in Boston held that memorable Ryder Cup where America's Justin Leonard drained a dramatic lengthy putt to secure the U.S. triumph. By the time he arrived there in '99, however, the Ryder Cup had ended. Meier's professional journey, though, was just begin - ning. He made $10 an hour to rake skeet felds, tear down or rebuild equipment and lived in the maintenance facility dorm at Brookline. Soon, a new century signaled what would become a decade of comings and goings for Meier. In that span he would meet his future wife. Get his frst big break. He even had en - counters with a Golden Bear. Here and there Just call this Meier's fve-year-not-planned plan. It begins here: In March 2000, Meier left Brookline to take an assistant position at TPC River's Bend in Maineville, Ohio, under super - intendent Dave Faucher. He was part of the grow-in and construction process, opportuni - ties that served Meier well down the road. "He came with good recommendations," Faucher says. "I hire by frst impressions, gut feelings. Meier and crew, from left: Chris Habich, Joey Downard, Meier and Jason Sperring. Photo © Montana Pritchard

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Golf Course Management - AUG 2014