Golf Course Management

JUL 2014

Golf Course Management magazine is dedicated to advancing the golf course superintendent profession and helping GCSAA members achieve career success.

Issue link: http://gcmdigital.gcsaa.org/i/335642

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 38 of 122

34 GOLF COURSE MANAGEMENT 07.14 This month, I'm passing along some fndings while noodling on various fxes and frustrations with golf course mainte - nance equipment. Cheap carbs that seem to work fine In a 30-day period, we had occasions to install fve cheap new carburetors instead of trying to rebuild carbs that had been stored a year or more with fuel in the system. Cost of parts and labor was our prime con - sideration. How can you resist a completely new string trimmer carb for $15.99, including freight? How about getting a completely new Briggs carburetor for just $10 more than the $49 list price for the fuel shutoff solenoid for that same carb? There was the will-ft carburetor for $14.32 (plus shipping) that seems to work just as well as the $73 original-equipment carb we didn't buy for a Honda single-cylinder pressure washer engine. The will-ft included a new fuel line. Every one of these cheap carbs worked fne, (shop) Scott R. Nesbitt ORPguy@windstream.net cell rechargeables. Then I stumbled across the "AA to D cell converter" on eBay. This inex - pensive plastic case is the same size as the big D battery, but holds two AA batteries and the conductors to carry juice to the device. Since we have few items needing D cells, but many that use AAs, the decision to purchase this converter was a no-brainer. There are also cases that convert a sin - gle AA to replace a C cell, but we use lots of C cells, so we skipped that gizmo. Curiously, it's hard to fnd an adapter that lets a C cell replace the just-slightly larger D cell. Preserving plastic pipe cement PVC pipe cement comes in steel cans that have the lids screwed on extra tight. Once you open the can, the cement dries out pretty quickly and becomes useless. Wrap the threads of the can with four or fve layers of Tefon tape and you'll fnd that the cement will stay fresh and usable a lot lon - ger. The trick is that the tape creates an air- tight seal. You'll also fnd it's a lot easier to re- open the can. Hand cleaner for mounting tires While fghting to get air into a new small tubeless tire, I stopped to clean my hands with a creamy white hand cleaner like GoJo or Goop. Just for grins I smeared some of the cleaner on the tire bead and the wheel — and it worked better than the soapy water I'd al - ways used. I've tried this on a couple of tires in the 4-, 6- and 8-inch rim sizes, and can report the tires can be easily mounted and flled with air, and stay flled. Multi-tasking hand cleaner! Scott R. Nesbitt is a freelance writer and former GCSAA staff member. He lives in Cleveland, Ga. This and that in the shop Wrapping the threads of a can of plastic pipe cement creates an airtight seal that greatly extends the shelf life of cement. A shiny new will-ft carburetor that cost less than $15 will replace an old carb that was not worth rebuilding, given the low cost of many new replacement carbs. Photos by Scott Nesbitt A solid-state LED bulb replaces the conventional incandescent bulb, is more durable and uses less power. Converter cases hold two small AA bat- teries and take the place of D cell batteries. It's hard to beat the cost and convenience. which leads to thinking that the era of install- ing rebuild kits is fading away. LED flashlight bulbs don't break I've owned a 19.2-volt Craftsman cordless work light for many years and always cringed when it fell over. The fragile bulbs broke eas - ily and cost a lot to replace. I gambled on an "upgrade" bulb, which uses LED (light emit - ting diode) technology. One LED bulb costs about the same as two old-style bulbs. But LEDs are solid-state, so there's no tiny inter - nal wire just waiting to fall apart at the slight- est shock. Color me happy. The LED produces a less intense "milky" light compared to the old bulb, but the greater durability and much longer battery life out - weigh any downsides. Buy and install LEDs carefully. Unlike regular bulbs, many LEDs will work over a wide range of voltages, such as in fashlights with two, three or four batteries, or 18- to 24- volt cordless work lights. But you'll burn out the LED if you get over or under its speci - fed voltage. Replacing D cell batteries In the process of adopting rechargeable batteries for all the meters, lights, radios, etc., in the shop, I balked at the high price of D 034-035_July14_Shop.indd 34 6/17/14 2:12 PM

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Golf Course Management - JUL 2014