Golf Course Management

JAN 2015

Golf Course Management magazine is dedicated to advancing the golf course superintendent profession and helping GCSAA members achieve career success.

Issue link: http://gcmdigital.gcsaa.org/i/439538

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 106 of 161

01.15 GOLF COURSE MANAGEMENT 99 Candidates Candidates For Director Mark F. Jordan, CGCS Mark F. Jordan, CGCS, has served as the natural resource leader at Westfeld Group Country Club in Westfeld Center, Ohio, since 2007. He has been with the club since 1993, previously serv - ing in general manager, club manager, superintendent (South Course) and assistant superintendent roles. He also previously served as assistant superintendent at both Winding Hollow Country Club in Columbus, Ohio, and Hyde Park Golf and Country Club in Cincinnati. He has a bachelor's degree in agronomy from Ohio State University in Columbus and an associate of applied science degree in turfgrass management from Ohio State's Agricultural Technical Institute in Wooster. A 28-year member of GCSAA, Jordan has served on GCSAA's board of directors since 2014. He currently serves as the chairman of the Certifcation Committee and the Melrose Leadership Acad - emy and Plant Health Academy and Scholarship task groups. Jordan is a member and past president of the Northern Ohio GCSA. He is a former president of the Ohio Turfgrass Foundation and a board member with both Play Golf Ohio and the Ohio Pesticide Applicators for Responsible Regulation. Statement I am honored to be considered a candidate for the GCSAA Board of Directors. I sincerely thank the Ohio chapters, particularly the Northern Ohio GCSA, for support of my nomination. My ex - periences since becoming a board member last February have been invaluable and have provided the opportunity to build and strengthen relationships with chapter leaders, members, current directors and GCSAA staff. As I prepared to write this essay, I evaluated my motives on why I want to run for the board. Through this process, I reviewed the GCSAA mission statement, which reads: "GCSAA is dedi - cated to serving its members, advancing their profession and enhancing the enjoyment, growth and vitality of the game of golf." As I read this, it became clear that my personal motivation was properly focused. The defning moment in the process came when I inserted my name in place of GCSAA and read the statement. It reinforced my desire to serve our members and industry. I am dedicated to serving our 18,000 members, I am dedicated to advancing our profession and I am dedicated to enhancing the enjoyment, growth and vitality of the game. Taken a step further, I am sure the same can also be said for many other superintendents throughout the country who continue to move our profession in a positive direction. Some of our biggest challenges continue to be local, state and national legislative issues. Regu - lations on water conservation/quality, fertilizer/pesticide use and other environmental legislation continue to be at the forefront around the nation. There are many success stories of collaboration between engaged superintendents, local chapters, GCSAA feld staff and GCSAA governmental relation's staff to ensure our voice is heard, recognized and respected. Creating engagement op - portunities, such as the GCSAA Grassroots Ambassador Program, will perpetuate exposure and involvement with our legislators. Continued focus on growing the game through understanding golfer demographics and needs is critical to developing initiatives and alternatives, which sustain the long-term health and vitality of our game. Collaborating with the PGA of America, Club Managers Association of America and other allied industry groups, not only at the national level but at each of our facilities, is critical to the future of golf. I also feel we need to maintain a continued industry focus with a global perspective, but without sacrifcing our principles. Col. John Morley founded our profession 91 years ago in Northern Ohio when he helped estab - lish the Cleveland Greenkeepers Association and, three years later, at Sylvania Country Club as he established the National Greenkeepers Association. We need to protect and respect his guiding prin - ciples of education, benevolence and camaraderie regardless of whether it is in Cleveland or Beijing. I have truly enjoyed my frst year on the board and look forward to the opportunity to continue serving our members and the industry. I appreciate the continued support of my employer, staff and, most importantly, my family. Thanks to the GCSAA Nominating Committee for their consider - ation of me as a candidate for the 2015 GCSAA Board of Directors.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Golf Course Management - JAN 2015