Golf Course Management

JAN 2017

Golf Course Management magazine is dedicated to advancing the golf course superintendent profession and helping GCSAA members achieve career success.

Issue link: http://gcmdigital.gcsaa.org/i/766215

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 116 of 179

01.17 GOLF COURSE MANAGEMENT 107 FOR SECRETARY/TREASURER John R. Fulling Jr., CGCS John R. Fulling Jr., CGCS, has served as the golf course superintendent at Kalamazoo (Mich.) Country Club since 1993. Previously, he was the superintendent at Berrien Hills Country Club in Benton Harbor, Mich., and Medi - nah (Ill.) Country Club. He has a turfgrass management degree from Kishwaukee College in Malta, Ill., and a music degree from Northern Illinois University. A 27-year member of GCSAA, Fulling has served on the national board of directors since 2013. He currently serves as the chairman of the Equipment Managers and Melrose Leadership Academy task groups and the Govern - ment Affairs Committee, and is vice chairman of the Chapter Affiliation Agreement Task Group. Fulling is a member and past president of the Michigan GCSA and a past president of the Western Michigan GCSA. He is also a former president of the Michigan Turfgrass Foundation, and previously served as a green commit - tee member for the Golf Association of Michigan and a committee member for the Michigan Golf Alliance. Statement It has been both an honor and a privilege to serve the golf course superintendent profession as a GCSAA board member for the past four years. I am proud of all the association has accomplished not only in my time, but also throughout its rich, 90-year history. There is no question that the golf course superintendent is recognized as a key professional in the industry, and I believe the strategic direction of GCSAA is continuing to elevate the profession each year. My goals in serving on this board have not wavered. I believe my job as a board member is to work tirelessly to help fulfill the association's mission, support our incredible staff, and never forget that we exist for one purpose only: to help improve the professional lives of every GCSAA member. As my second term on the GCSAA board winds down, I want you to know that I appreciate the support, trust, guidance and friendship you have given me, and I humbly ask for your continued support as I run for the secretary/treasurer position in 2017. I believe in the golf course superintendent. I believe in servant leadership. I believe the strategic goals of GCSAA are sound and reachable. I believe that we can achieve extraordinary things together, but only together. As I think about the next four to five years, I cannot help but reflect on the great contributions and achievements of all the gi - ants upon whose shoulders I clearly stand. It is both humbling and inspiring. The gift of wisdom and counsel I have received (and still receive) from past and present GCSAA board members I have had the pleasure to meet is a debt too big to ever repay. I can only do as they once did and promise to pay it forward while giving the GCSAA membership the very best of everything I have to offer. This is my promise to you. My sincere thanks go to the board and the membership of the Michigan GCSA, my home chapter, for their friendship, trust and continued support of my GCSAA service. Thanks to the board and membership of the Midwest Association of Golf Course Superintendents, my first chapter, for always supporting me through this journey. And thanks to my old friends with the Northwestern Illinois GCSA, where I am from originally, where I held my first golf course crew job at 16, and where I proudly rejoined after a 28-year absence. I am committed to GCSAA service. I have been passionate about association work my entire career, and it only gets stronger every year. It is easy to proudly represent, serve and commit fully to our great profession and all of its dedicated and incredible people. I respectfully ask for your continued support and your vote for GCSAA secretary/ treasurer in 2017.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Golf Course Management - JAN 2017